Sunday, September 29, 2013

Last Message from the Philippines

My time in the Philippines is almost over and I wanted to share a few more things that I have learned and seen.

Hinulugang Taktak National Park
Hinulugang Taktak is the most famous waterfall nearest to Metro Manila.


Transportation
I have enjoyed all the different ways I have been able to travel.  The most common ways of travel here are walking, motorcycle, bus, rail transit system (like an above ground subway), trike, or jeepney.  The two forms of transportation I used the most were the trike and jeepney. The trike is a motorcycle with a cart attached to it.  Most trikes fit six people plus the driver; it is a very tight fit.  A jeepney is a type of bus.  They are painted with all kinds of different things, usually play really loud music, and have colorful lights inside and out.  There are cars here, but most people take the public transportation or ride a motorcycle.



Money
Here the currency is called piso.  As of right now the exchange rate is 43 Piso = $1.00.  So let’s see if you can figure out how much each of these items are in American currency.
Bag of Skittles – P48.00
A ride on a trike – P8.00                                            
A pair of jeans – P695.00
A donut at Dunkin Donuts – P20.00
A 16.9oz bottle of Mountain Dew – P54.00
A Quarter Pounder Meal at McDonalds – P195.00



I will be leaving Manila, Philippines on October 1st.  I will be flying to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  Then I will take a train to Kuala Lipis, Pahang, Malaysia where I will be staying for the month.  So get to work on learning about Malaysia!

No comments:

Post a Comment